Monday, February 9, 2009

Trip, fall, I'm down again....

Trip, fall, I'm down again,
Lying on the ground,
Deep sigh, my elbow hurts
Trying not to cry
I look upwards for help
He's waiting to oblige
Cause all He wants is me
That's easy to define

One of the bands that I am really into at the moment is Maverick. I was only recently introduced to their funky sound and I really dig it. The rationale behind the name is:
"A maverick is a cow that isn't branded - and 'Maverick' doesn't want to be branded either!" It's a little lame but I'm happy to overlook this because their music is so unique. Here's the link to their site: http://www.mavericksound.com.au/index.php
Worth a look.

The lyrics at the beginning of this post are from Maverick's song Toddler written by Bronwyn Hart. Here are the rest of the lyrics from the song:

Dirt, mess, my plans undone
Like my undone shoes
I've tried and tried again
shoelaces I can not do
I just want to help Him out
Like a toddler pushing two
But His plans are so much more
Following them I cant loose

So small in his tender care
No Love equates
My life is loose bows needing His repair
But all my plans are in the way
As He ties my undone shoes
I keep getting in the way

And if only I would let
Go I could run and play
As He ties my undone shoes
I keep getting in the way
And if only i would let
Go I could run and play
(run, run, run, run, I could run and play run, run, run, run, in His Will I'm safe)

Trip, fall, I'm down again
Lying on the ground
Deep sigh, my elbow hurts
The story of my life
I look upwards for help
He's waiting to oblige
Can I sit back and wait
While my shoelace He ties

I was listening to this song on the way to soccer last night and found myself chuckling out loud. I think that I find the song so enjoyable because I can relate to it for a couple of reasons. As someone who works with children, this struggle between the plight for independence and longing for help from a more capable other is quite amusing and something I encounter often. However I was also chuckling because this is exactly how a lot of us continue to live. Sometimes our relationship with our Father is so child-like. I'm not talking here about having 'faith like a child' - but rather the parallels that exist between how a young child interacts with their parents and how we interact with our Father.

Please don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to patronise you by saying that your faith or relationship with God is immature and self-seeking. But isn't it true that sometimes we get in the way of our own lives, like an impatient child? We try to tie our own shoes when we lack the skills and knowledge needed. We are ill-equipped to tie our shoes; therein to sort out our lives independently. Therefore our shoelaces remain untied, and we continue to trip and fall time and again. If only we would stop squirming and pulling and pushing away God's help, we could go run and play. I really like the picture this song paints. There have been so many instances in my life where I have been impatient and eager to control the direction my life is headed in, when really I've only needed to give my life over to the One who created it. My feeble plans only get in the way of the plans that God has for my life. Instead I will be content to sit back and wait, while my shoelace He ties.

1 comment:

ACE said...

Love this post... Except the word "Maverick" is forever ruined for me post-Sarah Palin.

(Carly, only just realised you had a blog by right-clicking on your name on Joel's blog. I like what I see so far :)).