Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Who am I?

Who am I? Well.. that depends on who you ask. If you ask any of my peers at Uni, they will tell you that I am a student. If you ask my lecturers, they will insist that I am a pre-service teacher. If you ask my SBTE (School Based Teacher Educator) she will tell you that I am a student teacher. If you ask the ladies I work with at VECDP, they will tell you that I am a teacher aide. If you read the snazzy Buddina State Primary School name badge that I was given today, it will tell you that I am a learning manager. That's right, I am Carly Laird - Learning Manager. I'm sorry.. but what exactly is a learning manager supposed to be?? I always thought that it was somewhat amusing that JCU pushes the term 'pre-service teacher'. Apparently 'student teacher' has negative connotations that may crush the precious self esteem of teachers in training. However learning manager just seems a bit much. I'm not really sure whose learning I'm supposed to be managing. Probably my own, seeing as I'm still a student myself. That hardly seems worthy of a name badge title though. Oh well.. it's nice to feel a part of the staff, even if it is a little bit pretentious.

Today I had my first day of prac! I have a wonderful SBTE who seems to maintain a nice balance between being helpful and directed as well as chilled out and flexible, which works really well for me. As a whole my kids are pretty well-behaved, which is just lovely! Obviously there are a few boys in particular who can be a little rowdy, although by the end of the day they were fighting to sit at my feet and asking to hold my hand, so I'm not overly worried. Unfortunately this blog will be quite short because I have a fair bit of planning to do before tomorrow. Thanks to everyone who has sent me messages and emails while I've been away. It's so nice to feel cared for and missed even when I'm only away for a week! Peace out :)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I would love to meet the congregation of first class idiots who came up with the name "learning managers" for education students. What does that make your teachers? Learning manager supervisors? Learning Chief executive officer? Learning chairperson?

Carly said...

School Based Chief Learning Manager Teacher Supervisors, or SBCLMTS.. of course.

ACE said...

You're a paedagogue! Duh!

"Obviously there are a few boys in particular who can be a little rowdy, although by the end of the day they were fighting to sit at my feet and asking to hold my hand, so I'm not overly worried."

Awwww... that's so sweet... how did you do that?

Carly said...

LOL at paedagogue!

I'm not really sure how I managed to get the rowdy boys on side. I think that if you just talk with them and show an interest in their lives that is a pretty good start. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for adding RSS! Now I can abuse you with more frequency for not updating with more frequency.

Carly said...

I added RSS??? LOL.. that was completely an accident... glad it helps though :)