Sunday, February 10, 2008

More Ramblings...

Oh goodness...Blogging really is addictive. I almost wish that I hadn't stumbled across this, because I just know that I'm going to waste far too much time writing about whatever happens to be on my mind...especially on nights when I can't sleep, which unfortunately happens to be most nights. And I know I know, I should be in bed with one of those ridiculous eyemasks on, sipping camomile tea and listening to a soothing recording of ocean sounds or something of the like...but I'm yet to find someone who actually considers those recorded ocean sounds to be relaxing.. it just seems like irritating noise pollution that prevents you from sleeping, which leads to frustration, which is compounded by the fact that you're overtired and already rather frustrated at your inability to sleep. Real life ocean sounds, however, are very relaxing...although driving all the way to the beach, just to sleep, when you'd probably just accidentally lock your keys in the car and have your purse stolen by a gang of teenagers who would then throw rocks at your car seems a little impractical. But anyway.. as interesting as all of that is (note the sarcasm), it's not actually what I planned to write about.

Once again today I found myself with far too much time on my hands, which was actually really nice, considering that Uni starts again in 3 short weeks, and I'll morph back into being a hideous nerd who survives on coffee and coffee alone. So, what with all this spare time, I started feeling rather nostalgic. I think that often happens at the begining of a new year, when you have the chance to stop and appreciate all that the past year has taught you about life. I know that I've learnt alot. So that got me thinking about all that we've gone through...collectively...because that's how it is with friends; their pain is your pain, their joy is your joy, etc. And, to be honest, there's some pretty good material here. Really. 2007 was quite an eventful year...if any of us are ambitious enough we could probably start a sitcom that would rival 'The OC'. Actually I think that 'Big Brother' (a.k.a "let's cram the shame of society into a house and see how long it takes for them to get naked..on national television!") rivals 'The OC' these days, seeing as it's no longer showing, so that probably wasn't the best example to use as a measure of greatness, but you get my meaning. Seriously though, I think that we experienced alot of what life has to offer in 2007.

Some of us found love, maybe for the first time, maybe for the second time; either way it felt like everything we had done before was new and exciting. Some of us learnt that we didn't really know what love was, and what we thought to be love was really a deception. Some of us lost love, but discovered that we could survive, and are stronger for the experience. Some of us had our hearts broken, and it may be awhile before they are whole again, but we have to be content in waiting for that day to come. Some of us made commitments to another that will last until our dying days. Some of us watched as family or friends succumbed to illness, and struggled with the uncertainty and that horrible yet humbling feeling of being completely out of control. Some of us said goodbye to family or friends for the last time, and persevered through everyday life as if nothing had changed, when at the same time it felt like life would never be the same. Some of us watched as our friends and family grieved the loss of loved ones, and wished that there was something that we could do to fix it, but at the same time knew that just being there was enough. Some of us struggled with not being able to be with loved ones as they went through hard times and cursed the ever-rising cost of flights. Some of us were awestruck by the gift of life and the blessing of children, and watched as they grew so quickly. Some of us travelled overseas and saw the beauty of God's creation abroad..be it for a few weeks, months, or an entire year. Some of us fought with lonliness that was a result of someone's absence from our lives, or a certain part of our lives. Some of us discovered new things about ourselves. What we can achieve. How strong we are. That we can still stand tall through adversity. Some of us learnt new things about our loved ones and redefined some of our relationships. Some of us tried new things, and pushed limits that we thought were steadfast. Some of us made new friends that we know we'll have for life. Some of us lost friends, yet now question whether they were really friends at all. Some of us learnt to laugh, and learnt to cry. We learnt to let others in, but also to guard our hearts.

So there you have it. Alot can happen in 365 days. Alot can change in 365 days. It's exciting to think that, in a years time, I'll be looking back again on all that I have learnt from this year that we're yet to experience! So I guess my little inspiring ending to this blog (you should probably imagine a violin playing now..it would help with the visual) is to appreciate the potential that all of our encounters each and every day have to teach us valuable life lessons. The gift of hindsight shows us that often we don't realise at the time that we're experiencing a truly life changing moment. Live each day like it's your last! Take chances! Tell someone something that you haven't had the courage to say! Dance like no-one is watching! Sing like no-one is around! Google some cliche's so that I'll have some better ones for next time!
:)

No comments: