Saturday, January 10, 2009

PostSecret

A few weeks ago Kellie and I were meandering through Mary Who bookshop in the city when we stumbled across a book titled "PostSecret". The book contains hundreds of decorated postcards created by anonymous people that portray a secret. It's quite a fascinating book - from what I can gather it all came to be when a man by the name of Frank Warren decided to trial a social experiment of sorts, which has now become an ongoing virtual art project. Frank Warren began his experiment by putting together a blog through which people could anonymously email their secrets on a homemade postcard. Warren updates the blog with new postcards on Sunday of every week; here is the link: http://postsecret.blogspot.com/

Now just as a warning, there are no restrictions on the contents of the postcards. The only rule is that they must be completely truthful and must never have been spoken before. So, as would be expected, some of the content is quite explicit and in some cases pretty awful. That said, it really is very interesting. Several books have been published displaying the postcards, and there have even been museum exhibitions dedicated to PostSecret. It's all a bit humanistic, but still a very cool concept. If you can overlook some of the more explicit postcards, there are some very thought-provoking entries. Childhood fears, insecurities that most of us have but pretend that we don't, dreams, passions, heartbreaking truths and confessions - it's all there. The only downfall with the blog is that you can't browse through past entries as a new set of postcards are posted each week. Anywho.. if you're in need of some procrastination have a squiz, it's worth a look.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Carly, it's Kellie!

Just letting you know that even though I deleted my Facebook, I'll still be keeping track of your blog.

I'm going to start my own blog ... But probably on LiveJournal, cos I kept one there years ago and I know how to use it. I'll give you the link when I do ... or I'll use my OpenID to comment on this blog, because I am an avid reader!

Love,
Kellie.

ACE said...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_a7jkcMVp5Vg/SY7XG-S3HdI/AAAAAAAAICE/kvD8oBqHSls/s1600-h/BEATSTANFORD.jpg

This one made me think of you and the work you'll be doing :)

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!